Search This Blog

Friday, November 17, 2017

Collage animals


Our first project this year has been a very progressive, multi step, multi media project that has really evolved as we created! Our first project when we got back from hurricane Harvery was to release some stress with scribbling to music....

Students spread out on the floor and scribbled to the sound of fast and slow music by “The Piano Guys” they love these songs because they recognize them from the radio but it’s all instrumental.
The students were instructed to use large arm motions that cross over the body. Any motion that crosses from the right side of the body to the left or vise versa uses both hemispheres of the brain since each side controls one side of the body. It is very relaxing and the kids LOVED it!!!!!!
The next class kids painted over thier scribbles with water colors, tempera paint, and India ink. They explored the way different paint resists or does not resist the crayon.

You can follow me on instagram for more photos "Natty241"
And my facebook page "Mrs. Waggenspack's Art Room"
They were allowed to use their hands at the end. We try to use all 5 senses for a while brain experience. We talked about abstract art,
Kinetic art,
And the experience of art. It is a process and not just a product that we create in art.

After each experience we gathered on the floor and talked about how they felt in one word. Students said, “Free, alive, happy, exhilarating, dancing, creative, like a real artist, quiet, excited, open,angry, peaceful,etc”
When the paintings were finished the students tore them up into strips! They were so upset at first. When they saw the next step they were so excited. 
The students glued the strips on a late paper for the collage. This took three 50 minute classes. Then students traced the eyes and nose of the animal they wanted and outlines the eyes, nose, and beaks with India ink. ( pictures at the bottom of blog)

Image result for envirotex litethis is the resin I use. I paint it on with a brush. This resin must be mixed one to one ratio and it is toxic so you must wear a mask. Do NOT let the children use it. You have to do it for them if you want the ultra shiney eyes effect! Wear a mask and use gloves! You can sprinkle glitter in it too for extra FUN!!!

Then they glued the eyes and nose on the collage. 
The next step was to embellish the face and add details. We used India ink and fan brushes to make fur and feathers. 
When the entire face was finished I added resin to the eyes to make them shine 
These are how the eyes and noses look before they cut them out. We used the fan brush for making fur. 
These are the travers they could use for eyes, noses and beaks 

31 comments:

  1. OH WOW! I always look forward to your art lessons. They are so Dynamic and Amazing. These are no exception.... phenomenal!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary thank you so much for the sweet compliment! Hope you are having a fabulous year!!!

      Delete
    2. This is amazing! I’m still struggling to understand how the eyes, nose and mouth are made/created. It’s a beautiful project.

      Delete
  2. Did your students draw the eyes, nose and beaks? Did they have a reference to use? These are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a phenomenal project! Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the most amazing project I have seen in ages!! They are fabulous! What age are the students? Donna Staten

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! The students did a wonderful job! I want my class to do the same! Thank you for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. incredible!!! Absolutely love!! Thanks so much for sharing. These students must be SO proud of there work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never left a comment on a blog before! I reference them all the time, but I always always change, combine or reinvent posts that inspire me. This is the first blog entry I felt jealous of and inspired by at the same time, lol! Absolutely incredible project. I would like to mimic but I also feel guilty because I would do it exactly as you did. Great work. Thank you for being an advocate for art, for taking your job seriously and for cultivating the talents of young artists through excitement, trust and a little art therapy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow!! What an honor! Thank you for your kind words! I love getting comments! I hope you mimic and enjoy every minute! It is a very fun project! I did the scribbling at a teacher inservice and we weren't too sure at first but there is a fabulous feeling to making large arm motion scribbles to music it feels like dancing and you get lost in it. That sounds so dramatic but its true! Let me know how yours turn out! ShelbyJunePhotography@gmail.com

      Delete
  8. Those pieces are brilliant! I love that it started as a collaborative work and moved to individual finished projects. It is really like building a home - team of people working together to build (or rebuild) a house, then the individual living inside decorates it and makes it their own. Very fitting after Hurricane Harvey. The longer process is true to a process all artists experience, it is a journey to get to the end product, showing your student's how to have passion, patience and persistence. Absolutely FABULOUS! Be very proud of yourself and your student's. You have inspired me, I want to make one. You know you could sell these to raise money for a charity!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am sitting here looking for inspiration for my art classes for next year... I am so glad I found this! Absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Natalie... WOuld you mind sharing the lesson plan for this? I love it and want to do it with my 7th graders. Thank you Natalie_childress@catawbaschools.net

    ReplyDelete
  11. About how long did the project as a whole take? What grade is this, and did you draw the facial features, or did the students? Asking as a college student pursuing a Masters in Art Education! :) Love your stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So amazing! Check out ArtResin, non-toxic. Might work well for kiddos. I think I'm going to try this with the millions of magazines I have. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow! These are fantastic! What a cool project!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are amazing! I am always looking for fun projects that use our process art paintings!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful lesson. I''m going to do it with my 5th and possibly 8th graders. Love it. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. If you are searching for Best Play Schools in India, i suggest you Emerald International School is Perfect CBSE school in Bangalore with outstanding facilities for future leaders.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello! I'm Anna Fogg. I am an art teacher that mostly works with homeschooled students (and my own 7 homeschooled kids who are mostly grown now) at a cooperative, Sligo Creek Homeschool Cooperative, in Wash, DC, and then Renaissance Classical Tutorial, in Laurel and Bowie, MD. www.rct.io I LOVE this! My students will go bonkers over this!! I am going to do this after the Christmas break!! Question. I am not sure if you are providing a way to print out the eyes and beaks? Did they trace a template and then paint them? And I do get that after you did the resin. But what is part 1 to the eyes? My email address is: annaof7kids@gmail.com
    God bless you for sharing such a dynamic project!
    ~AnnA~

    ReplyDelete
  18. duh....there's a video at the bottom! okay, I'll go watch. thanks! ~AnnA~

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Natalie- just love this and am going to try it with grade 7's soon. Do you by chance have a template that you can send me for the eyes/ nose/ beak please? Thank you so much!! Allison akozak@sd50.bc.ca

    ReplyDelete
  20. I work at a residential treatment facility with teens and I am going to try this! They will definitely love it! Thank you for sharing this great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really love these! How did you teach them to draw the snout or mouth for cats and dogs? What grade did you do this with? I would love to try something similar with my 3rd grade students.

    THanks!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi You !

    Your blog is very exciting. i also blog and i'm blogger. this is my blog : địa điểm du lịch

    If you want to visit Viet Nam. Let't contact or send message for me

    I really love these! How did you teach them to draw the snout or mouth for cats and dogs? What grade did you do this with? I would love to try something similar with my 3rd grade students.

    THanks!

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews